Here is a pic of the sliding skipper’s seat, the white beech sole and the controls and instrumentation for the motor system The window frames are made from laminated NZ Kauri. The grab rails are celery top pine.
Here is the glue up for the rudder blade. Laminations of NZ Kauri with grain direction reversed between each. Resorcinol glue. Needs lots of clamp pressure so achieved this with lots of wedges, sash cramps etc.Line boring the rudder gudgeons. I cast these in silicon bronze together with the pintles
The rudder pintle cheeks run full width to give the blade transverse strength. Since this pic I have added a bronze strap between the top and middle pintles
The rudder stock is topped with tufnol to protect the end grain. There’s also tufnol between the tiller and the stock where the tiller pivots.
Stem head fitting in 316 stainlessLast day in the shed. We have had concerns about bushfires so I moved the boat to a safer place on our property. The cradle has rollers under the keel so I was able to winch it out onto the trailer. Here’s the boat near the house. I have built a canopy over it to protect it over the next couple of months.
Before moving I sandblasted the keel with garnet then coated with Interprotect. Simple sandblaster setup with a 20kW Atlas Copco compressor from Ebay and simple pot.
Current work going on is painting the cabin roof. 5 coats of Yacht Primer sanded between, tomorrow will be 3rd coat of Pre Kote before Toplac.
Other jobs recently were installing bilge pumps and final fit of cabin internal fitout. Also refurbished the spruce mast and boom from the original US boat.
Hopefully just a few months away from launch.
‘Till next time